Tyne and Wear HER(16555): South Shields, ferry station - Details
South Shields, ferry station
Named as the Direct Ferry Station on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan. The Tyne Direct Ferry Company was established in 1847 and operated a service between North Shields New Quay to Kirton's Quay west of Mile End Road in South Shields. This was the most easterly of all the Tyne ferries and had the shortest crossing of the three Shields ferries. The name Kirton's Quay appears on the Second Edition OS plan. When the fare was reduced to one halfpenny the ferry acquired the name of The Ha'penny Dodger. The Halfpenny Ferry Landing was also the home to the floating Seamen's Mission between 1866-1883 (HER 16554). The company operating the Market Place ferry sought to halt the new ferry and amalgagmation soon took place (in 1849) with the older company. The ferryboats were much smaller than the Market Place boats and like the Whitehill Point ferry the Direct Ferry was taken over by the TIC in 1863. It ceased running in August 1954.
http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/oldshi.html; First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan