Tyne and Wear HER(16561): West Herrington, St. Cuthbert's chapel of ease - Details
West Herrington, St. Cuthbert's chapel of ease
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Chapel of Ease
Whellan's 1856 directory describes West Herrington as having a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Cuthbert. The building was constructed in the gothic style in 1840 and contained 200 sittings. The chapel was attended in 1856 by Rev. George Snowden. A paraochial school was attached to the chapel with Miss Ellen Armstrong the teacher in 1856.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan, 1865