Tyne and Wear HER(16565): Houghton-le-Spring, Barrington and National School - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Barrington and National School
The Barrington and National School is described by Whellan (1856) as a neat stone building erected in 1833. It accomodated 300 children. James Young and Isabella Forbes are listed as teachers in 1856. Shortly after this description was written the school merged with George Wheeler's Charity School which had been housed in the rectory gatehouse since 1719 and moved to new premises on Dairy Lane (HER 8752).
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan, 1855.