Tyne and Wear HER(16567): Houghton-le-Spring, Newbottle Lane, Blue Coat School - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Newbottle Lane, Blue Coat School
The Girls' Blue Coat School was founded by Sir G. Wheeler, for clothing and educating twenty-eight girls. It was enlarged in 1803. In 1856 Whellan described the school as having an additional twelve scholars being educated at the expense of the ladies of Houghton, who remunerate the teacher by an annual contribution.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham