Tyne and Wear HER(16568): Houghton-le-Spring, Quality Hill, mechanics instute - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Quality Hill, mechanics instute
Mechanics Institute situated on Quality Hill. Whellan (1856) describes it as a stone building with a square tower above the entrance. Erected in 1851 at an expense of £500. The library contains nearly 900 volumes, many of which are standard works, and is supplied with the London and local papers, periodicals etc. Thomas W.U. Robinson, Esq. was the president, Mr George Elliott was vice-president, Mr William Hopper was secretary, Mr Robert Burn treasurer and Robert Wilkinson was librarian in 1856.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan, 1855