Tyne and Wear HER(16606): Penshaw, Londonderry Endowed School - Details
Penshaw, Londonderry Endowed School
Painshaw Endowed School for Boys and Girls is listed in Whellan's directory of 1856. It was erected by the Marquis of Londonderry in 1847. The school promoted moral and religious education for the children for the workmen of the Londonderries. The children were taught for free but a charge of one penny per week was made for books etc. The average number of scholars in 1856 was 200 and the teachers are noted as James O. Clazey and Isabella Monkhouse.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; Ordnance Survey first edition, c.1856