Tyne and Wear HER(16645): Hendon, South Dock, engine sheds - Details
Hendon, South Dock, engine sheds
Railway Transport Site
Two large engine sheds. The eastern most shed was built in 1785 and replaced the earlier engine house (HER 16642). This indicates the switch from a static engine rope-haul system to shunting locomotives. Its west facing side overlooked a roundhouse with a large turntable for stabling steam locomotives. The smaller shed comprised of two two-track dead-end straight sheds built in 1861. The roundhouse shed was demolished in 1968 as diesel engines replaced steam locomotives. The straight sheds were converted to stable diesel engines. They were in use until the 1980s and demolished in 1990.
TWM Archaeology, 2010, Land east of Prospect Row, Hendon, Sunderland - Archaeological Assessment; Second Edition Ordnance Survey, 1897