Tyne and Wear HER(16674): Newcastle, 5-7 Drury Lane - Details
Newcastle, 5-7 Drury Lane
Built 1901/2 to the design of S.D. Robinson on behalf of the landowner Mr R. G. Fortt. The ground floor comprised of four separate shop units while the two floors above were given over to office accommodation accessed via a central staircase. The office accommodation was mirrored on both of the upper floors. It was created by subdividing the building with a series of timber and glazed partitions to form six rooms on each floor. The new building reused the foundations of the pre-existing structures. The new offices became known as Drury Lane Chambers. The current arrangement on Drury Lane includes a footbridge (disused) at second floor level between the rear of 31 Mosley Street and the 1902 office building.
MGA, 2010, 5 to 13 Grey Street, Drury Lane and 6-8 Cloth Market - Heritage Appraisal