Tyne and Wear HER(16767): Elswick, Anglo-American Oil Company depot - Details
Elswick, Anglo-American Oil Company depot
The Anglo-American Oil Company Ltd. Was the name given to the first forign affiliate accquired by John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil Company (Ohio) on 27th April 1888. The company became one of the largest oil product transportation companies in Britain. The company eventually became ESSO in 1951. The depot at Skinnerburn Road is listed in the Kelly's trade directory in 1947 but isn't in 1953. During the Second World War it was a priority three oil installation.The site may have been taken over by Rimer Brothers by 1965.
AAG Archaeology, 2013, Skinnerburn Road, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment