Tyne and Wear HER(16784): Sunderland, Holmeside, Olympia Rink (the Whitehall) - Details
Sunderland, Holmeside, Olympia Rink (the Whitehall)
Edwardian roller skating rink which opened in 1908. The Olympia Exhibition Hall opened in 1897. In 1899 the Richardson Brothers of Kelloe took over the premises. They installed a skating rink, fairground rides and a circus. The Fosset circus family performed here. It began showing moving pictures. The Olympia closed in 1910. The Blacks Regal opened on the site in 1932.
2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 18; http://www.sunderlandhistory.co.uk/Entertainment-and-Leisure-ID8/Other-Entertainment-IDS29/Olympia-Exhibition-Hall-IDI74