Tyne and Wear HER(16787): Newcastle, St. Andrew's Street, St. James Hall - Details
Newcastle, St. Andrew's Street, St. James Hall
St. James' Hall lay opposite the Gallowgate End of St. James' Park. Its original entrance was on St. Andrew's Street. This purpose built boxing stadium was designed by Percy Browne and opened in 1909. Its capacity was up to 3000 people. The hall was rebuilt in May 1930 with an entrance on Strawberry Place. It was called New St. James Hall. It was designed by Cowe and Lawson of Chester-le-Street and could seat 4000 people. It's opening night featured 'Sunderland Assassin' Jack Casey. In the mid 1930s St. James' Hall hosted fights six nights a week. The last boxing matches were in May 1967. After this it continued to host wrestling then bingo. The hall was demolished in 1976 to make way for St. James Metro Station.
2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 19, 48