Tyne and Wear HER(168): North Gosforth, Roman building stone from the Chapel - Details
North Gosforth, Roman building stone from the Chapel
A building-stone, 17 x 9 inches, was found in 1826 built upside down into the external plinth at the east end of North Gosforth Chapel in the grounds of Low Gosforth House. It was probably brought from the Roman Wall, which lies about 4 miles to the south, and is now in the Museum of Antiquities. Its inscription reads 'coh(ortis) VII / [...]' 'From the seventh cohort...' .
<< HER 168 >> J. Bell, 1832, An Account of the Remains of a Chapel ...near Low Gosforth House... Archaeologia Aeliana, 1, II, pp. 243-45 A. Huebner,1873, Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum, VII, 1028 Rev. R.E. Hooppell, 1882, On the Ruins of an Early Church at North Gosforth, near Newcastle... JBAA, Vol. 38, pp. 117-121 S. Holmes, 1883, ...Recent Investigations at the Ruimed Chapel of North Gosforth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, IX, pp. 205-210 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Northumberland County History, XIII, p. 564, no. 1 R. G. Collingwood & R.P. Wright, 1965, The Roman Inscriptions of Britain, p. 438, no. 1324 B.H. Pritchard, 1968, Ordnance Survey archaeological record card