Tyne and Wear HER(16808): Penshaw, Laidler's Pit - Details
Penshaw, Laidler's Pit
Coal Mining Site
Coal pit (two shafts) shown in Keelman's Field, Penshaw on the 1775 Tempest estate map as two adjacent bell pit shafts. Formed part of Pensher Colliery. Laidler's Pit labelled on Bell's Coalfield Map 1843 but not on the 1st edition OS. May have actually been out of use by 1820 superseded by the D (HER 3099) and E pits (HER 3107) at White Field and Wharton Row (later Shiney Row).
The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2015, Penshaw: not just a monument; Tempest Estate Map, 1775, DRO NCB 1/X/227;