Tyne and Wear HER(16842): Newcastle, Hunter's Moor - Details
Newcastle, Hunter's Moor
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Originally part of Nun's Moor (HER 1357). Part of Hunter's Moor is occupied by the former Fenham Barracks (HER 4093). In 1213 the Town Moor was granted to the town by King John. But the rights to its herbage (grazing of livestock) were retained by The Freeman of Newcastle, a body whose origins pre-date the Norman Conquest of 1066. The intake system allows the Freemen to designate up to 100 acres of the Town Moor for purposes other than grazing, on a lease no longer than 99 years. Hunter's Moor was used by Fenham Barracks and Newcastle United as a sports and training ground from the 1960s until the 1980s.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, pp 26-27