Tyne and Wear HER(16846): Gosforth, High Gosforth Park, Northumberland Golf Club - Details
Gosforth, High Gosforth Park, Northumberland Golf Club
Northumberland Golf Club formed at High Gosforth Park in 1898. The club was first based in a wooden hut on the north side of the straight mile of the racecourse. This was replaced in 1902 by a prefabricated pavilion supplied by Boulton & Paul of Norwich on the south side of the straight. Once trams started running to the west entrance in 1904, a third clubhouse was opened on its present site in 1905. In 1913 the present clubhouse was designed by Dennis Hill of Graham & Hill, in Arts and Crafts style. It cost £5000. Despite alterations, the clubhouse remains one of the best preserved historic sporting structures in Tyne and Wear. 14 of the 18 holes lie within the racecourse, so players have to cross the track four times.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 50, 52, 58