Tyne and Wear HER(16866): Whitley Bay, Hillheads Park, Whitley Bay Football Club - Details
Whitley Bay, Hillheads Park, Whitley Bay Football Club
Ball Sports Site
Whitley and Monkseaton Football Club was formed in 1896. Monkseaton Football Club laid out a pitch to the immediate west of West Park around 1934. In 1950 Monkseaton Football Club became Whitley Bay FC (also known as the Seahorses). Hillheads Park was mainly developed in the 1960s when Whitley Bay was one of the top amateur teams in England. The main stand was completed in 1963. A mass horses grave was uncovered. The Seahorse Social Club opened in 1966. Floodlights were added in 1968. There was a roof over the south terrace (the Creamery Side) but this was taken down in 1971. The terraces were concreted in 1989 for the visit of Preston in the FA Cup. Hillheads Park is limited to 4500 people. The ground is used by junior and women's teams. Hillheads is one of the few historic football grounds in Tyne and Wear that has survived progress and rationisation and has retained its character and atmosphere. During the 1960s the club twice reached the semi-finals of the FA Amateur Cup. They have won the Northumberland Senior Club twelve times since 1953. They won the FA Vase three times in eight years (2002, 2009 and 2010). The latter two games were played at Wembley Stadium. In a corner of Hillheads Park is an Ellison Patented Rush Preventive turnstile. These were manufacturered in Manchester between 1895 and 1963.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 62, 70-71