Tyne and Wear HER(16869): Penshaw, Penshaw Low House Farm - Details
Penshaw, Penshaw Low House Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Farm shown on the 1775 Tempest plan and subsequent tithe and OS plans. Building now named Penshaw Stables Farm. An east-west range, rendered and whitewashed with a Welsh slate roof. The farmhouse is of two low storeyes with a central porch now flanked by modern conservatories. The roof has a red tile ridge and a big stack at each end, the eastern of ashlar and perhaps early 19th century in date, the western with its upper section rebuilt in brick. To the east is a lower farmbuilding with an L-plan eastern section that may be a recent addition; between the two parts what is probably the original end wall has a gable coping raised to such an extent as to suggest that the original roof material was thatch of some sort.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, Penshaw: Not just a monument - Historic Village Atlas; Tempest Estate Map, 1775 (DRO NCB 1/X 227)