Tyne and Wear HER(16932): Heaton, Cartington Terrace, Medical Rugby Football Club - Details
Heaton, Cartington Terrace, Medical Rugby Football Club
Rugby Football Ground
The College of Medicine's rugby club is known officially as Medical RFC (or more commonly 'the Medicals'). Their ground dates back to the club's formation in 1898. The pavilion was built in 1936 to designs by Newcombe & Newcombe. The timber grandstand was built in 1933. It was restored and reopened in 1988. Timber grandstands are increasingly rare in Britain. This one is the third oldest stand in Tyne and Wear (the oldest being at Newcastle Racecourse, the second being at Ashbrooke, Sunderland). The club crest is shown on the back of the stand - a serpent entwined around a rod, a symbol representing the Greek god of medicine, Asclepius.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 100, 109