Tyne and Wear HER(1694): Stella Hall - Details
At the time of the dissolution the original house was granted to three friends of Henry VIII, and the lease was eventually puchased by Robert Anderson who was later one of the lords of Winlaton who pulled down the old house. The Tempests rebuilt the hall in the Grand Elizabethan style. They included secret rooms to harbour fugitive priests. In 1640 during the Battle of Newburn Ford (HER ref. 1297), Lord Conway established his headquarters at Stella Hall. The estate passed by marriage to Lord Widdrington in the early 18th century and later became the home of Joseph Cowen who owned the Blaydon Burn Brickworks. A large irregular building, essentially late 16th century-early 17th century in style, the south front partly remodelled for Lord Widdrington in the mid 18th century. The south front faced a beautiful small park. It was demolished circa 1955.
<< HER 1694 >> T. Yellowley, 1986, Stella and Blaydon Burn N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: Durham, p 433 1834, Historical Topographical & Descriptive View of the County of Durham, Vol 1 P. Meadows & E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, pp 26-28; W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp 71-74; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Path Head Conservation Area, p 54-57; N.G. Rippeth, 1990, Blaydon in old picture postcards