Tyne and Wear HER(1695): Stella, Cromwell's Cottage - Details
Stella, Cromwell's Cottage
Opposite the Catholic church at Stella once stood a thatched cottage in which tradition states that Royalist officers spent the night before battle. The cottage, which was an inn, was probably used as an officers' mess, while Stella Hall (HER ref. 1694) was used as the headquarters. It was later given the name Cromwell's Cottage during the time the Protector's army was encamped on Stella Haughs on his travels to and from Scotland.
<< HER 1695 >> T. Yellowley, 1986, Stella and Blaydon Burn; W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, p 80