Tyne and Wear HER(16955): East Boldon, Sunderland Road, Boldon Cricket Club - Details
East Boldon, Sunderland Road, Boldon Cricket Club
Formed in 1875. In 1904 the club moved to Sunderland Road as tenants of the Church Commissioners. The present pavilion was designed by two club members, Jim Hall and Ken Murta, architects with W & TR Milburn of Sunderland. It cost £9,000 and opened in May 1966. The pavilion has open balconies, an external staircase and a scorebox at roof level. In the block to the left there are two squash courts, built in 1974 at a cost of £14,000. Two extra courts were added later to cope with demand.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, inside back cover