Tyne and Wear HER(16958): Whickham Football Club - Details
Whickham Football Club
Formed in 1944 and dubbed the 'Home Guard' team. In order to be able to play on the Glebe (see HER 15698) the club had to have a colliery affiliation so they renamed themselves Axwell Park Colliery Welfare Team. The mine closed in 1954. The National Coal Board sold the Glebe to Whickham Council who leased it to the newly formed Glebe Sports Club, representing both the cricket club and the football club. The football club reverted to its original name Whickham FC. It achieved fame in 1981 by winning the FA Vase at Wembley. The semi final against Eton at the Glebe attracted over 3000 people. Because they share the ground with the cricket club, Whickham FC has to play its first 7 to 8 fixtures away. They then have to erect a temporary barrier along the touchline that backs onto the cricket field.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 110