Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Stella, Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas

Tyne and Wear HER(1696): Stella, Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas - Details

Back to Search Results


1696


Gateshead


Stella, Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas


Stella


NZ16SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Place of Worship


Roman Catholic Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Stella Church was designed by the architect John Green, Who also designed the Grey Column (1837-8), The Theatre Royal Newcastle (1836-7), the Literary and Philosophical Society building (1822-1825), Penshaw Monument (1844) and many others. It is a Gothic structure which buttresses and narow lights, originally 68 feet long by 33.5 feet broad with a plain interior. The tower was 50 feet high and was ornamented with a turret containing a library and was the residence of the chaplain. It was built of good ashlar stone and the presbytery was gabled and the turrets castellated. In 1849 the church was enlarged, probably by John Dobson, and stained glass by Pugin inserted. In 1972 the property was restored. LISTED GRADE 2


1720


6397


NZ17206397



<< HER 1696 >> T. Yellowley, 1986, Stella and Blaydon Burn N. Pevsner,1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 433; W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp 87-90; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Path Head Conservation Area, p 55-56

Back to Search Results