Tyne and Wear HER(16961): Jarrow, Shaftsbury Avenue, Filtrona Park - Details
Jarrow, Shaftsbury Avenue, Filtrona Park
The home of South Shields Football Club since 1992. Before that this was the ground of the Filtrona company, manufacturers of cigarette filters. The ground cost £400,000 and holds 2000 spectators. The first football club in South Shields formed in 1899 and were based at Horsley Hill (HER 11811). The second club played within the grounds of Simonside Hall from 1951-74. This ground attracted 18,500 people for a cup tie against York in 1957. The ground is now built over with houses. The current South Shields FC is known as the Mariners. It formed in 1974. They played their first 18 seasons on a council pitch in Jack Clark Park.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 111