Tyne and Wear HER(16968): Gateshead, Redheugh Park, football and greyhound stadium - Details
Gateshead, Redheugh Park, football and greyhound stadium
In March 1930 South Shields Adelaide Association Football Club relocated from Horsley Hill to Redheugh Park in Gateshead. The club was thus renamed Gateshead FC. In 1937 a greyhound company became a co-tenant of Redheugh Park and the stadium was revamped. A Gateshead League match attracted 20,752 spectators. On 28 May 1960, Gateshead were voted out of the League. Greyhound racing finished in 1966. In 1971 the non-League football club moved to Gateshead International Stadium. In 1973 the stadium was demolished. Today part of the site is occupied by a Powerleague five-a-side football centre.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 116-117