Tyne and Wear HER(16970): Sandyford, Warwick Street, City Stadium - Details
Sandyford, Warwick Street, City Stadium
Racing Sports Site
In March 1950 Newcastle City Council announced plans to lay out a City Stadium on the former Ouseburn refuse tip on Warwick Street. The Ouseburn flowed under the site through a large culvert (HER 5046). The initial plan was to cover the site in soil and turf and lay out a football pitch and cycling and running tracks. The ultimate aim was to build two stands on either side of the track, each to seat 43,000 people. A terrace at the Warwick Street End would accommodate 8,500. This stadium would have been bigger than St. James Park. The site would also house an indoor sports centre with badminton courts and an ice rink. Underneath the stadium would be a multi storey car park. The first phase of the stadium (the football pitch and racing tracks) opened in June 1955. There was a cinder track, a small wooden pavilion and an entrance block. Plans for the grand City Stadium were abandoned and by 1967 the site had fallen into disrepair. Today the site is open parkland with a children's playground and an artificial five-a-side pitch. The cinder running track can still be seen.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 124