Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Stella, Stella Road, No. 4 and wall to north (Stella House)

Tyne and Wear HER(1700): Stella, Stella Road, No. 4 and wall to north (Stella House) - Details

Back to Search Results



Stella, Stella Road, No. 4 and wall to north (Stella House)






Post Medieval


Extant Building

On 7th March 1703/4 Lord Widdrington granted a 99 year lease to Albert Silvertop of this house at the foot of Summerhill Bank. Although called Stella House, because it faced east and its many windows reflected the early sun, the keelmen called it "The Rising Sun". Stella House was a rambling house with projecting attic windows. Though built at the beginning of the 18th century, it was much added to later. Many notable families lived in this unpretentious house, firstly the Silvertop family, subsequently Edward Emmerson, a local iron-founder, followed by Joseph Cowen, eldest son of Sir Joseph, then Mr Thomas Young Hall, an engineer and Joseph Roberts. The last owner was Joseph Mordue of Blaydon. The main house was demolished in 1971 but the rear wing survives and is listed. Listed building description: House. Late C17/early C18.Rendered rubble and brick, pantiled roof with stone gable coping. 2 storeys, 2 bays. South elevation to road: first bay of rubble has ground floor window boarded up and first floor sash with glazing bars, both with flat stone lintels and wide projecting stone sills. Brick second bay, blind at ground floor, has first floor band under sash window with glazing bars. Right return rendered. Left return has C20 boarded door. Roof has cavetto-moulded stone coping to shaped gable at left, brick header course to shaped gables between bays and at right; one corniced ashlar chimney left, 2 of brick at centre ridge and end right: High wall adjoining left return and running north contains boarded door in pointed-arched surround and small window; obelisk finial to shaped gable with cavetto moulded stone coping. Historical note: surviving rear wing of Stella House.




<< HER 1700 >> T. Yellowley, 1986, Stella and Blaydon Burn 1974, Stella House; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 4/26; N.G. Rippeth, 1990, Blaydon in old picture postcards

Back to Search Results