Tyne and Wear HER(17004): Jesmond, Portland Bowling Green Club - Details
Jesmond, Portland Bowling Green Club
Ball Sports Site
The oldest surviving bowling green in Newcastle. The club was founded in 1874, the green was ready for play in 1877. The clubhouse was designed by James Fatkin and built in 1938 as a replacement for the original one. A competition for members known as 'Spoons' gave an engraved silver spoon as the prize. Portland hosts two annual county tournaments, the Bell Cup which goes back to 1900, and the Oubridge Cup which started in 1910.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 141