Tyne and Wear HER(1704): Sunderland, James Williams Street, Nos. 1-10 - Details
Sunderland, James Williams Street, Nos. 1-10
A planned Victorian street community consisting of a terrace of 10 two-storey, two bay red brick houses. At the southern end of the terrace is a three bay hospital building bearing an inscription on a plaque above the central doorway: "This hospital belongs to the Freemen of the Ancient Borough 1719", and below: "Built by subscription on this site 1876". To the south of the hospital is a 3 bay mission chapel dated 1872, with a rose window over the central doorway. There is a similar chapel at the northern end of the terrace dated 1878, opposite the Victorian board school of 1874. The board school was the first of its type to be built in the town following the Education Act of 1870.
<< HER 1704 >> Industrial Archaeology card Corfe, History of Sunderland