Tyne and Wear HER(1705): Stella South Power Station - Details
Stella South Power Station
Electricity Production Site
Built between 1951 and 1954, partly on the site of the Blaydon Races track. Of the brick-cathedral type, it was designed by L.J. Couves of Newcastle, with a capacity of about 300,000 kw. It was opened on 20th December 1954 and was designed to burn 2,000 tons of coal a day. 22 tracks of railway sidings were laid to handle this quantity of coal. The waste ash was transported down river for dumping at sea by barge. The chimneys were 375 feet high and the four cooling towers 240 feet high. It was demolished in the 1990s. A cannon ball dredged from the river was on display inside the station.
<< HER 1705 >> T. Yellowley, 1986, Stella and Blaydon Burn N. Pevsner,1983, Buildings of England: Durham, p 433