Tyne and Wear HER(17087): Brandling Waggonway - Details
This waggonway may have been in operation by 1676. It is shown on a map of 1730, on Gibson's Map of the Collieries of 1787 and on Bell's Map of 1843. It ran from coal pits in the Carr Hill area of Felling Royalty owned by the Brandling family to Felling Staith on the south bank of the River Tyne.
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 45) 169; Gibson, 1787, Map of Coalfield;