Tyne and Wear HER(17097): Harraton, Humble's waggonway, Branch to Black Fell - Details
Harraton, Humble's waggonway, Branch to Black Fell
Humble’s Waggonway, running from coal pits on Birtley Common to a staith at Fatfield, was established in 1741. By 1754, it was being used by Thomas Donnison to carry coal from South Birtley Colliery. A branch to Black Fell was established before 1787 (it is shown on Gibson’s map of 1787).
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 77b) p161 & 172; Gibson's Map of Coalfield 1787; casson's map of coalfield, 1801