Tyne and Wear HER(17099): Lambton's Waggonway to Penshaw Colliery - Details
Lambton's Waggonway to Penshaw Colliery
A long waggonway, running between the Earl of Scarborough’s pits within Lumley Colliery and staiths on the southern bank of the River Wear at Penshaw by 1704 (Turnbull 2012, 163). Various branches were added to the waggonway over the succeeding century. In 1784, the lease to Lumley Colliery was bought by Lord Lambton. In the 1790s, a short branch line was constructed from his colliery at Penshaw. It is shown on Casson’s Map of the Coalfield of 1801.
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 84G) p 163 & 172; Bell's Map of 1829