Tyne and Wear HER(17100): Jane Wharton's Rainton to Penshaw Waggonway - Details
Jane Wharton's Rainton to Penshaw Waggonway
Richard Wharton, the owner of Rainton Ducks Colliery, died in 1696. His widow, Jane, ran the colliery for the next 30 years. In 1697, she secured a new route for a waggonway from Rainton across Dubmire and Hall Moors and over Sedgeletch from where the line took up an old waggonway route used by Sir John Duck through Newbottle, Penshaw and down Waggon Hill to the south bank of the River Wear (Turnbull 2012, 76). In 1730, following Jane Wharton’s death, the colliery was passed by marriage to the Tempest family.
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 86) p 76 & 163;