Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Rainton, Rainton waggonway, branch to Rainton Meadows

Tyne and Wear HER(17103): Rainton, Rainton waggonway, branch to Rainton Meadows - Details

Back to Search Results



Rainton, Rainton waggonway, branch to Rainton Meadows






Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

By 1697, the Wharton family’s Rainton Waggonway carried coal from their Rainton Ducks Colliery across Dubmire and Hall Moors and over Sedgeletch from where the line took up an old waggonway route used by Sir John Duck through Newbottle, Penshaw and down Waggon Hill to the south bank of the River Wear. Branches were added to the waggonway from Newbottle Colliery for the Earl of Scarborough’s coal in 1723 and another from Smith’s Colliery in Morton but the route that these branch lines took has not been established. In 1730, the colliery passed by marriage to the Tempest family. Over the middle years of the 18th century, the course of the main way around Dubmires was altered because of wayleave problems and for a time the line became circuitous. By the late 1760s, the line had reverted to its former course. Branch lines were later added to deep collieries including Eden Main (HER 17101) and Penshaw (Wharton Main) Collieries (HER 17102). The branch to Rainton Meadows Colliery was opened before the mid-18th century.




Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 86C) p163 & 172;

Back to Search Results