Tyne and Wear HER(17106): Houghton le Spring, Rainton Waggonway to Resolution Pit - Details
Houghton le Spring, Rainton Waggonway to Resolution Pit
With the development of more effective steam-powered pumping engines to drain previously unworkable deep coal seams and the development of nucleated collieries, the Rainton Waggonway, especially its southern lines, was extensively upgraded and re-organised by the Tempests, to whom it had passed by marriage from the Whartons in 1730. A number of new branch lines to collieries were constructed between 1816 (the Resolution Pit) and 1826 (Pittington Colliery).
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 87) p163 & 172; Bell, 1829, Map of the Coalfield (TWAS 2/421)