Tyne and Wear HER(1713): Hylton Colliery (Castletown Colliery) - Details
Hylton Colliery (Castletown Colliery)
Coal Mining Site
Opened 1900, closed 13 July 1979. Sinking started in 1897. There were three pits - East Pit, South Pit and West Pit. The owners were Wearmouth Coal Company LTD until the National Coal Board took over in 1947.
<< HER 1713 >> Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, 1978, Sites of interest in River Wear plan area; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Durham Mining Museum, www.dmm.org.uk