Tyne and Wear HER(17140): Hetton-le-Hole, Station Road, Imperial Theatre - Details
Hetton-le-Hole, Station Road, Imperial Theatre
Music Speech and Dance Venue
Imperial Theatre and Cinema opened in 1926 built on the site of a building called The Laurels. Although built as a cinema it was also used for live shows, the first production being performed by the Hetton Opera Company. 'Isle of Lost Ships' was the first sound film to be shown on March 4th 1930. In 1960 Stall Cinemas took over the ownership of the Imperial and films came from the offices of the Tyne Theatre, Newcastle. The Imperial closed October 10th 1962 - the last film was 'The Hangman'. Now demolished.
Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p428;