Tyne and Wear HER(17209): Sunderland, Thornholme Road, Lourdes (Holmlea) - Details
Sunderland, Thornholme Road, Lourdes (Holmlea)
Red brick in Flemish bond. Classical style. Constructed in 1889-90 as Holm Lea for Samuel Storey, MP and newspaper proprietor. Sold to George Henry Robinson, draper and sil mercer in 1893-4. Later owned by W.O Wood, Justice of the Peace in 1915-16. In 1933 Holmlea was run as the Grange School (boarding) by Misses Vaux and Preston. It was sold to the Catholic School and renamed Lourdes in 1940. Externally the building has been altered considerably including the removal of its bays on the north and south elevation and the demolition of a small annex on the western end. Internally there are still a number of interesting features such as the design on the stairs newel posts, central arcade and decorated pillars on the main porch. A stained glass window in the central north elevation depicts peace and justice and probably dates to c.1915. A number of other features are likley to exist but are hidden from view by modern obstructions. Structurally the building largely retains its original layout except for the second floor.
Vindomora Solutions, 2015, St Anthony's Girls' Catholic Academy, Thornhill Terrace, Sunderland - Archaeological Building Recording