Tyne and Wear HER(17216): Wallsend, Vine Street, Community Centre - Details
Wallsend, Vine Street, Community Centre
Military Training Site
Constructed as a drill hall with an attached caretaker's house between 1904 and 1911 for the Northumberland Fusilliers. The hall was used by the Fusilliers during WWI but later occupied by the North Staffordshire 3rd Reserve Battalion until after 1945. It was then occupied by the 506 Fields Squadron Royal Engineers. In more recent history the site was used as a TA centre before being turned into a community centre. The building has seen some significant alteration although generally confined to the interior. The exterior has seen only limited intervention, most noteably the alterations to its west end. The building has changed hand several times hence the amount of change to the building. Recorded in 2015 ahead of proposed demolition.
Archaeological Research Services, 2015, Former Wallsend Baths, Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne - Building Recording