Tyne and Wear HER(17234): Harton, Harton Primary School - Details
Harton, Harton Primary School
Harton primary school comprised of three main buildings and a kitchen/canteen block. The main buildings comprised the Stephenson and Christie buildings which housed the junior school and the infants school. The buildings were built in one phase in the 1930s and opened November 1939. The architects were J H Morton and Son of South Shields. Air raid shelters were constructed within the grounds of the school (HER 17233). The buildings were recorded in 2009 prior to demolition. Internally all of the buildings matched the original floor plans. Period features survived within many of the rooms.
Tyne and Wear Museums, 2009, Harton Primary School - Historic Building Recording; Plans TWM DT.JHM/36 (1-11); Sirius, 2008, Harton Primary School, Harton, South Shields - Preliminary Appraisal (Desk top study)