Tyne and Wear HER(17258): Elswick, Westgate Road, Big Lamp - Details
Elswick, Westgate Road, Big Lamp
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The Big Lamp used to light the junction to Westgate Road and Elswick Road. Its column stood in the middle of Elswick Road where it joins Westgate Road, opposite the Bay Horse pub and the end of Summerhill Street. It was erected before 1900. Although it has been gone for many years it was such a landmark that this spot is still called 'the big lamp', and a small brewery with its offices there has called itself 'The Big Lamp Brewery'.
City Guides Information A-Z, 1988