Tyne and Wear HER(17286): Killingworth, High Farm - Details
Killingworth, High Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
High Farm shown on First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan, 1858 and also a Map of Backworth Estate c.1820. Mid 19th century farmstead with later additions and alterations. Building One is a small gabled shed now used as a workshop. Built of roughly coursed squared sandstone with dressed gable copings and an asbestos sheet roof. Double door in south face. Building Two is of two storeys, built of sandstone with dressed quoins and gable copings supported on simple kneelers, slate roof. Central door and two windows on west face. Modern door in south face. Inside the upper floor has been removed. The building was a stable for six horses with a hayloft above. Building Three is a former cottage for farm workers. Interior not examined as it is still occupied. Building Four is a low slate-roofed building with large quoins. Building Five is of two phases, the west end is of squared snecked sandstone masonry and the east end in cement-rendered brick. Both sections have chimneys. Slate roof. The older west end has a door and window in the south face. The east extension has doors to the north and south and a window in the west face. This building is thought to have been used as a dairy and for washing milk churns. Building Six is the farmhouse, still in occupation. Interior not recorded. Two storeys, stone, slate roof. All the glazing is modern. Building Seven is a modern shed of 1950s date. The OS first edition map of 1857 suggests that the buildings surrounded a stock yard where cattle would have been penned. The buildings on the north and west sides probably housed hemmels or animal sheds. The south range was a cart shed with granary above. The threshing barn was at the north-west corner with a gin-gang on its north side to provide horsepower for the thresher. The east side of the yard was formed by a stable (building 2). The farmhouse (building 1) and its outbuilding (building 4) was at the south-west. At the east was the workers cottage, coal shed and toilet. By 1897 the north range including building 1 had been added and a row of piggeries. In the 20th century the dairy building 5 was built. The stackyard was later used for a range of short-lived structures including a rough Dutch barn.
AD Archaeology, Land west of Hillhead Farm, Killingworth - Archaeological Assessment; ASUD, 2015, Killingworth Moor, North Tyneside - Archaeological Assessment; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2017, High Farm, Killingworth Moor, Killingworth, North Tyneside - archaeological building recording; Newcastle Journal, 2nd December 1843, advertisement 'To be sold at Backworth High Farm', North Shields Library Local Studies Section