Tyne and Wear HER(17305): Barrack Road, Barrack Tavern (Darnell House, Darnell Hotel) - Details
Barrack Road, Barrack Tavern (Darnell House, Darnell Hotel)
Exact location unknown. Known as the Barrack Tavern originally. Later became Darnell House (later Darnell Hotel) after rebuilding in 1892. The name reflected the influence on the area of a wealthy cleric W N Darnell, Rector of Stanhope, who owned a tract of land between Barrack Road and Westgate Road. The premises were bought by North Eastern Breweries in 1897 and in 1935 it became a fully-fledged public house. As a Vaux house, the Darnell re-emerged in 1995 as the Old Mill, became the New Darnell and was demolished in 1998.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West