Tyne and Wear HER(17337): Newcastle, Moor Street, Duke of Edinburgh Public House - Details
Newcastle, Moor Street, Duke of Edinburgh Public House
Duke of Edinburgh - taken over by Robert Deuchar in 1897. At that time the public house had a large bar with dividing partitions, a smoke room and a bottle and jug department on the ground floor. Upstairs there was a sitting room and a billiards room with two tables. Rebuilt in 1937 and demolished in 1994. Older people knew the pub as the 'Red Lamp' - an allusion to a less than respectible feature of its past.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West