Tyne and Wear HER(17377): Newcastle, Kings Meadow, Countess of Coventry Public House - Details
Newcastle, Kings Meadow, Countess of Coventry Public House
Countess of Coventry located on the 30 acres Kings Meadows Island in the middle of the Tyne. Named after its one time owner Mary Beauclerk, wife of Viscount Deerhurst who became Earl of Coventry in 1811. The pub came into its own in the 19th century when river processions and regattas were popular. Customers were transported by rowing boat although at times it was possible to walk across. The landlady kept cows and supplemented her income by delivering milk to Elswick. The pub closed when it was sold to the Tyne Commissioners who dredged it away between 1874 and 1878.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West