Tyne and Wear HER(17422): Elswick, Mill Lane, Portland Arms Public House - Details
Elswick, Mill Lane, Portland Arms Public House
Bought by Calder's of Alloa in 1909 and immediately altered. In 1939 magistrates sanctioned the transfer of its licence to a new public house to be erected on land occupied by the shop 3 Mill Lane and properties at 1,3, and 5 Bentinck Street. The new Portland Arms opened in 1941. Now a restaurant.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West