Tyne and Wear HER(17443): Elswick, Westmorland Road, Chieftan Public House - Details
Elswick, Westmorland Road, Chieftan Public House
The Chieftain opened in the Cruddas Park Shopping Centre in 1969 by Newcastle Breweries. The Chieftain commemorated the tanks made at Vicker's Elswick Works. It was a two-roomed pub with a distinct military theme. The 842 square ft bar had a photo mural of the interior of a Chieftain tank, and the 1116 sq ft lounge features the silhoutte of a 120mm gun against a brightly camouflaged background as the back fitment to the bar.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West