Tyne and Wear HER(17445): Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, The Benwell Hotel Public House - Details
Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, The Benwell Hotel Public House
The Benwell Hotel was granted a full licence after its acquisition by Simson and McPherson before the turn of the century. It was altered and extended on the basis of plans drawn up in 1889 by architects Oliver Leeson & Wood. The most obvious change was the impressive new frontage of stone bay windows and parapet. A stone carving on the side of the building is dated 1901. Internally, the pub had bars at the front, a sitting room behind and a room described as a 'private room for the football club'. Upstairs there was a billiard room and a club room. In 1935 further alterations moved a kitched from the ground floor to the first floor, created a buffet in the space provided and enlarged the bar.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West