Tyne and Wear HER(17458): Lemington, Bell's Close, Rokeby Arms Public House - Details
Lemington, Bell's Close, Rokeby Arms Public House
The Rokeby arms was run in the middle of the 1850s by Joseph Wren in conjunction with his butchery and grocery business. The property, like much of the area, was originally owned by the Lord Rokebys of Denton Hall who owned Montague Pit. The pub received a full licence and was aquired by Northumberland Hotels in 1947 when it was extended and altered. It was demolished in the late 1980s to make way for the western bypass.
Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West